Social Media Content Guide – Instagram
- The Marketing Studio
It’s important to understand that each social platform needs different content. For example, Facebook content may not always be suitable for Instagram.
Instagram was initially built for artists and photographers to share their unique photos. The ‘Instagram platform has grown massively since its launch in 2010 and is increasingly being used by businesses to reach their customers.
Instagram Business Account
Firstly, if you are a business and you haven’t already turned your Instagram account into a ‘business’ account do this ASAP. Not only does it make you more professional and easy to contact, but it also allows you to get stats from your audience, e.g. what post gets the most views/ engagement, % of followers increased/ decreased etc…
Make sure you give your business a good bio. This is your elevator pitch and the first snapshot of insight into what you do. Make it snappy and concise.
- Remember that most people scroll through their Instagram feeds at a brisk pace. If you want your entire caption to display, Instagram recommends using 125 characters or fewer. However, if there is an interesting story behind the photo, tell it!
- One of the easiest ways to get more comments on your photo is by using the caption to pose a question to your followers.
- Use a mixture of videos, photos and text, a carousel feature, a before-and-after sequence in one slideshow post or showcase products, offers etc… Followers like variations.
- As we know, Instagram is a great visual medium. Sharing a video can attract 3 times more inbound links than written posts.
- If you use a third party always give credit to them. You want to make fans not enemies, people really appreciate this. Give a shout-out with an @mention
- Don’t be afraid to use emojis. This helps break up large amounts of text and makes it easier to read.
- Use #hashtags to increase awareness and engagement with your post. (a big subject to cover later).
- Partner with influencers for a wider reach (another huge topic! We will cover this at a later stage).
- Create a content planner on a simple excel spreadsheet or online planner, with key dates/ events that are relevant to your sector.
- Create content 1 month at a time so you do not have to constantly create new content at the click of a finger.
A feature on the Instagram app is Instagram Stories. This allows users to create content that is only seen for a limited amount of time (24hrs) unless it is added to a ‘Highlight’. This is then housed on your Instagram profile, separate from your normal feed. This content tends to be more conversational, reminders, ‘behind the scenes' or peak previews of a new launch – this generally tends to be more of a Vlog style.
An incredibly effective tool is the ‘swipe up link’. Having this link enables you to post exciting content regarding a new product, service, or event, and encourages those followers to follow through to your website.
Instagram Reels are full-screen videos that can be up to 90 seconds long. Reels are currently favoured by the Instagram algorithm making them a huge opportunity for marketing. Here are some tips for making a business reel:
- Learn how the Instagram reels algorithm works - using trending sounds, and #hashtags.
- Use trending audio - many users search by sounds!
- Don't be too salesy- users don't open social media to see ads, and make content entertaining.
The beauty of social media is, that there are so many opportunities and it’s not as simple as just posting a social post. It’s important to remember that it’s all about trial and error and it takes time to learn all the different features available. Keep posting consistently and you will succeed.
Don’t forget to keep following our Instagram: www.instagram.com/themarketingstudio
If you need any assistance with your Instagram or other social media contact us here
About The Marketing Studio
THE MARKETING STUDIO is committed to helping you grow your business. Whether it be online or offline, we provide a full service including your marketing strategy, communications and design, and will assist you in strengthening your brand.