Tips on how to get started on Instagram for your business
By now, you probably know that Instagram is a powerful platform for creating visual content for business. There are benefits to your business being on Instagram that you may not have expected.
Instagram allows you to:
- connect with customers
- learn what people like
- reach new audiences
- fuel your other marketing channels
- generate sales
The number of people who use Instagram is growing every day and it is one of the most popular social media platforms available. Therefore, it is a great opportunity for your business to reach more of its target audience.
Of course, Instagram isn’t for all businesses, and you would want to ensure it is a fit for you and your marketing strategy. If it is and you haven’t set up an Instagram account but are keen to get started, here are some steps to get you up and running:
Firstly, you must create your account using the Instagram mobile app, or on a computer. If you are using the app you first need to download it.
In the phone app, Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, Android from Google Play Store or Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store. Once the app is installed, tap to open it. If you are using your computer then you can go to the Instagram website to sign up. To sign up you can enter your email address or sign up with your Facebook account.
- Tap Sign Up, then enter your email address and tap Next or tap Log In with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register by email, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done. If you register with Facebook, you'll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you're currently logged out.
- Add a profile picture: You can easily add a profile photo to the Instagram app from your mobile device. Your profile picture displays as a circle, so if you’re using a logo, make sure that it’s safely in the centre of the image. The size of the profile pic is 110 pixels wide by 110 pixels deep. We usually prepare the image/logo to that size before we start setting up the Instagram account. To add, go to your profile by tapping on your profile picture, tap the blank circle by your name, and import a picture from your phone’s photo library, Facebook, or Twitter.
- Add in a bio about your business:
Your name - whether it’s the name of your business or your actual name.
Tell them what you do - something that sets you apart from anyone else. Tell this side of your brand in your bio. Explain what makes you unique.
Make your bio interesting - your bio should reflect that fun side of your personality/business.
- Use keywords: target your audience and niche as this will help users better understand who you are and what you have to offer.
- Include your website link: If they are interested in your business, they can go to your website and find out more about you.
- Find people/businesses to follow: Now that you’ve created your Instagram account, you’re ready to find users to follow. Go to your profile tab and select Find Friends. Here you can search for friends that have connected their Facebook and Twitter accounts to Instagram. You can also search by name, username, or tag. You can also follow other businesses, celebrities or people whose photos you admire. Following interesting people is a great way to get inspired.
- Post your first photo: To post your first photo/s, simply tap on the + icon on the top right side of the app. From there you can post a regular post, story, reel or live video. A regular post comes up on the main Instagram feed and it is the most popular way to post content. You can either snap a photo or choose some from your gallery. You can post up to 10 photos at once. Once you choose the photo/s you want, hit next. From there, you’ll be able to apply filters and adjust the photo/s in other ways. Finally, you’ll be prompted to add a caption, tags, mention people and don’t forget #hashtags! A story comes up at the top of the Instagram feed and your profile page and it stays there for 24 hours. However, you can highlight stories so they stay on your profile page until you choose to remove them. A reel comes up of the video feed and is shown as a snippet on the main feed on Instagram. These are short videos that have a maximum length of 90 seconds. A live post is a video that is filmed as it is shown on your feed.
Here are some tips to get familiar with Instagram.
Posting photos to Instagram is normally done via your phone or tablet, however, there are third-party apps you can use, which is a desktop application that allows you to upload pictures or videos on Instagram. They act as an emulator - so that you don't need a smartphone! You can also use Facebook Meta Business Suite which allows you to post on Instagram and Facebook at the same time.
If you would like help with your social media contact us today.